She believed she could so she did.
Today yoga is just one of my many passions. I always look forward to turning off the lights, turning up the music, and just flowing. Whenever I feel tense, upset, or confused, I know that yoga will wither away my worries and point me towards the light. By no means is yoga a quick fix to all your problems, but with time and effort yoga can be that magical medicine you’re looking for. Yoga is a journey, an ambitious one at that. But I would highly, highly, recommend the practice to anybody, everybody, stress or no stress. Yoga is a light, a light that will only enhance yours, and remind you the importance, no, no, the need to…#Shineeverydamnday!!
How did you start and progress with handstands. Did you combine working out with yoga? If so… how did you know when you were ready to advance to another level?
- I began working towards handstands by calculating what I needed to achieve first. It didn’t take long (one handstand attempt) for me to realize I had zero upper body strength. So step 1 was obvious. Build strength. I tackled this issue by creating 20 minute high intensity interval workouts that were bodyweight/yoga exercised based. Aka. TRAIN LIKEAGIRL.
- I broke the handstand down into three different arm balances. Headstand, forearm stand, handstand. I began with a headstand, striving to find my balance and core strength. Once I was able to hold my headstand I moved onto the forearm stand which took a lot more upper body strength. It took me awhile to be able to master a forearm stand, but with months of practice and training I eventually did it. Next, was the handstand which required full body strength, balance, and courage. This was my longest inversion journey yet, taking 17 months to finally stick a hold that I could be proud of.
What would you recommend for someone who wants to do yoga but has little to no space and home with no toga studios in town?
- Download the app Yoga.com …there are several different programs you can follow along with.
- Sarah Beth Yoga is my favorite YouTube channel! Her flows are awesome and they get the job done.
- TRAIN LIKEAGIRL is the perfect home training program to build the full body strength you’ll need to take your yoga practice to the next level.